No snooty ski vibe or elite alpinism here -- just one big-ass mountain and a California cool-kid crowd that help make Mammoth an almost year-round rager, both on the slopes and off. Destination numero uno for SoCal skiers (it's about a six-hour drive from LA), the 3,500-acre resort not only offers terrain for all levels, but epic spring corn, snowbunnies boarding in bikinis, and après that stretches late into the night.
Thrillist Snow Guide: Mammoth, CA
1. The Lakefront163 Twin Lakes Rd, Mammoth Lakes
2. Campo Mammoth1001 Minaret Rd., Mammoth Lakes
3. Roberto's Cafe271 Old Mammoth Rd., Mammoth Lakes
4. Mammoth Brewing Company94 Berner Street, Mammoth Lakes
5. Clocktower Cellar Pub6080 Minaret Rd., Mammoth Lakes
6. The Yodler10001 Minaret Rd, Mammoth
7. Tusks Bar Mammoth Main Lodge1 Minaret Rd., Mammoth Lakes
8. Underground Lounge6201 Minaret Road, Suite 153, Mammoth Lakes
9. Whiskey Creek Restaurant24 Lake Mary Road, Mammoth Lakes
10. The Tap4599 Main St, Mammoth Lakes
11. Woolly's Adventure Summit Tube Park1 Minaret Rd, Mammoth Lakes
12. Parallax Restaurant1 Minaret Rd at McCoy Station, Mammoth Mountain
13. The Village At Mammoth Lodge Mammoth Lakes1111 Forest Trl, Mammoth Lakes
14. Mammoth Mountain Inn1 Minaret Rd, Mammoth Lakes
15. The Westin Monache Resort50 Hillside Drive, Mammoth Lakes
16. Black Tie Mammoth435 Commerce Circle, Unit B, Mammoth Lakes
17. June Mountain3819 Highway 158, June Lake
18. Tamarack Cross Country Ski Center163 Twin Lakes Rd, Mammoth Lakes
Tamarack Lodge's Lakefront restaurant features a main dining area with ten tables, as well as picturesque views of the Twin Lakes nearby. Have a cup of the cider, made in-house, or other seasonal beverages such as hot mulled wine.
Named one of Esquire Magazine's 'Best New Restaurants in America' in 2012, it's a must-visit for anyone with a stomach.
The real draw of this awesome Mexican resto is its daily 4-6pm happy hour, which includes fish tacos and margaritas.
Less than a Lincoln ($4 to be precise) will score you a year-round beer tasting of eight brews and root beer.
Who could say no to 150 whiskies? 150 whiskies!
Allegedly Bavarian, the closest thing to anything German you'll get is hoisting a Hofbräu in the Biergarten/ deck.
Live music, lots of TVs, shot ski!
This above-ground live music venue is also an excellent French-inspired restaurant.
Steaks here are seasoned with Whiskey Creek's very own rubs and sauces and cooked over massive oak and ash logs on a wood fire grill for one distinctive flavor.
Ever so slightly off the beaten path, this divey bar is a great place to shoot some pool, grab a pitcher or a pint, and unwind after a day of shredding the gnar.
Usually slippery slopes are not a good thing... until you add a tube. Which is the idea behind Woolly's Adventure Summit Tube Park, which has six groomed tubing lanes.
This Mammoth resto's only accessible via luxury snowcat ride, but rest assured, it's worth it. You'll be treated to a gourmet Chef's Table upon arrival, and drift back down the mountain once you're done, snowcat-style.
Smack dab in the middle of everything, it's no wonder that this lodge was among Condé Nast Traveler's Top 50 Ski Resort properties, and one of Away.com'sTop 20 Ski Lodges.
Call it old, call it retro, call it what you will, but this inn has been a local landmark since 1959.
You'll ski downhill at breakneck speeds in order to kick back at this super-stylish and minimalist resort.
This Black Tie franchise brings convenient ski rental services to patrons in the Mammoth Lakes area. Rather than making you trek to their brick-and-mortar location, these guys'll drive the skis to wherever you want em; how cool is that?
This ski resort is packed to the gills with everything you'll need for a truly epic ski vacation. There are stores nearby to pick up supplies, lakes within hiking distance, a restaurant and bar for after-ski refreshments, and, of course, killer powder for the skiing itself.
Ok, so it may look like tipsy skiing, but cross country skiing is hard. Test your mettle at Tamarack, which offers 19+ backcountry miles of freshly groomed skating, classic and snowshoe trails, as well as tours and lessons.