- 2 ounces Fernet-Branca
- 1 ounce ginger-blood orange syrup (1 cup fresh blood orange juice, 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons grated ginger, 1½ tablespoons grated blood orange peel)
- 1 egg white
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- 1½ ounces club soda, to float
- Lemon, to garnish
- Mint, to garnish
- Slice 3 blood oranges in half and use a manual juicer to extract the liquid by hand.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the blood orange juice. Add the sugar, grated orange peel, and grated ginger, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and strain out the solids. Place the syrup in the refrigerator and let it cool.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine Fernet-Branca, ginger-blood orange syrup, egg white, orange bitters, and lemon juice. Shake vigorously.
- Strain the liquid from the shaker into a coupe glass and float with a splash of soda water. Garnish with a mint sprig and lemon twist, and serve.