Applewood Roasted Pulled Pork Stuffed Apples
- 3 large red apples
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup prepared pulled pork
- 1 bag unwrapped caramels, divided
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Heat grill to medium.
- Cut the tops off the apples, hollow out the core and discard the inside, leaving a thin wall and bottom of the apple intact. Place 1 square of butter and 1 caramel cube in the bottom of each apple; stuff each to the brim with the pulled pork.
- Grill on indirect heat for approximately 30 minutes, using Applewood chips or pellets for smoke (either in a smoker box or foil pouch on the coals).
- Prepare the caramel barbecue sauce by stirring together in a medium saucepan the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomato paste, pepper, hot sauce, water and remaining caramels. Bring to a simmer and set aside.
- Drizzle each apple with the sauce while still on the grill, and sprinkle with chopped green onions. Serve warm with the remaining sauce on the side.