Given our perpetual devotion to burgers here at Thrillist, it should come as no surprise that we're always on the prowl for the next great achievement between buns. Behold, Ballistic BBQ's cheesy corn bulgogi burger: an American twist on a Korean staple, blending bold Asian flavors with roasted corn for textural bliss and, lest we forget, cheese. Because Americans can't help themselves.
Where the Wild Things Grow
Cheesy Corn Bulgogi Burger
- 1 (15-ounce) can of corn, drained (or 4 ears of fresh corn)
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Herbs, to taste (the video uses cilantro)
- 1 pound thinly sliced steak
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2½ tablespoons white sugar
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat grill using indirect heat to 400ºF.
- Combine the ingredients for Korean cheesy corn in a bowl, stirring thoroughly until mixed well.
- Transfer the mixture to a cast-iron skillet, cover, and grill it for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling.
- In a separate bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, green onion, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the bulgogi meat and toss it in the marinade, ensuring that it's fully covered.
- Grill the meat on an oiled and hot griddle until lightly blackened.
- Toast the buns on the same griddle until char lines appear. Stack a generous portion of the meat on the bottom bun, top with cheesy corn, and finish with the uppermost bun. Serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.