Many people are remembered as having "lived fast," but few actually make a living by, well, living fast.
Possibly the most dominant driver in racing history, Ayrton Senna was one of those people, crushing the Formula One Grand Prix calendar year after year. Charismatic, outspoken, and a little bit insane, Mr. Senna drove with the belief that a higher power was on his side and had already codified himself into legend before he met his high-speed end while leading the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix. (For a deeper dive, check out the award-winning Senna—it's worth every minute of your time.)
He was a true winner, and we should all take note. Get your pens out.
1. “I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence.”
2. “And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.”
3. “Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else.”
4. “I am not designed to come second or third. I am designed to win.”
17. “If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs me my life, I hope it is in one go. I would not like to be in a wheelchair. I would not like to be in a hospital suffering from whatever injury it was. If I’m going to live, I want to live fully, very intensely, because I am an intense person. It would ruin my life if I had to live partially.”