The 20 Most Bizarre Traffic Laws In America
Most laws are made to protect the population and help life run a bit more smoothly for everyone. But due to the bizarre nature of our legal system, outrageous local ideas sometimes sneak through the cracks of reason and become solidified as law.
Here are some of the most bizarre traffic laws in the United States. And yes, there will be a quiz. Given by the police. If you speed. So print this out.
1. You must have a lantern attached to the front of your vehicle...if you're gonna drive the wrong way down a one-way street and not be considered a law breaker in Alabama.
2. Hit a pedestrian in Sarasota, Florida? No big deal.Just pay a tiny $78 fine.
3. Do NOT get pulled over with a Gorilla in the back seatIf you're in Massachusetts, whether you own it or not. Trust us.
4. Want to drive around with CLOSED beer in your car in Rhode Island?If it's in Scituate, nice try bucko.
5. Mercifully, Alabama has outlawed blindfolds while drivingFrankly we're surprised the call had to be made.
in a congested district in Youngstown Ohio.
6. You are legally not allowed to run out of gas...
7. It's illegal to honk someone else's hornIf you're in University City, Missouri. And no, that's not a euphemism.
Because if you survive: you're going to jail.
8. Never jump out of a car going 65 mph in while in Glendale, California
9. In Illinois, they're very picky about who can claim possession of roadkill deerOnly residents who don’t owe child support and who have not had their wildlife privileges suspended anywhere in the United States can claim possession of roadkill with the Department of Natural Resources.
If your tailpipes pop and disturb the peace, you may be slapped with a fine.
10. Your backfiring hooptie is not welcome in Rutland, Vermont
11. The police in Fort Thomas, Kentucky have a thing about dogs molesting vehiclesSo keep your puppy on the leash if you catch him eyeing the tires on your neighbor’s Subaru.
In Little Rock, Arkansas after 9 p.m.
12. No honking near a sandwich shop or cold beverage stand
13. You can spit from a truck—but not from a car or a busIn Marietta, one of the largest suburbs in Georgia.
14. Pray that your house in New Britain never ignitesBecause apparently fire trucks in this Connecticut town are not allowed to drive faster than 25 mph, even when responding to a call.
No matter how warm and inviting the asphalt looks.
15. In Eureka California, you're just not allowed to sleep on the road
16. You can’t drive your camel on the highwayEven though the Nevada desert might feel like Abu Dhabi.
We're terrified to imagine the incident that precipitated this law.
17. There is a law that says you can't drive on a playground in Dublin, Georgia
18. In Pennsylvania, “any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road......cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes.” Oh my god.
You can be jailed for 30 days for screeching your tires.
19. It's ironic that in a place called Derby Kansas...
20. The phrase "keep your pants on" is taken literally in Sag Harbor New York...where disrobing in your car may result in a hefty ticket.
Want more of the world's best Rides delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for our daily email.