For many, Martin Luther King Jr. day is an extra ski day, a day to sleep in and catch a movie. But in between the slopes or Netflix, take some time to remember the road less-traveled, and the progress that's still yet to come.
Below are 14 of our favorite quotes from one of history's most important and influential leaders.
1. "If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
2. "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?"
3. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
4. "All we say to America is: Be true to what you said on paper."
5. "The time is always right to do what is right."
6. "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
7. "The only weapon that we have in our hands this evening is the weapon of protest. That's all."
8. "It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence in this world; it's nonviolence or nonexistence."
9. "I am afraid that many among you are more concerned about making a living than making a life."
10. "I am not interested in power for power's sake, but I'm interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good."
11. "Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated."
12. "Through our scientific genius we've made of the world a neighborhood…but we've failed to make of it a brotherhood."
13. "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."
14. "I say to you that our goal is freedom, and I believe we are going to get there because however much she strays away from it, the goal of America is freedom."
Ethan Wolff-Mann is an editor at Supercompressor. He has been recommending Selma to everyone who will listen. Follow him on Instagram.