Aside from potentially being the most awesome man on the planet (as he literally inspires awe in us), Bill Murray has some serious smarts behind that goofball facade.
Murray's a showbiz triumph tale for the ages, leveraging his own natural popularity and using it to turn himself into a full-fledged brand, with trademarked sangfroid at the forefront. Simply put, he's able to do whatever the f*ck he wants. Here are 14 quotes that illustrate how to live your life the right way, straight from the master's repertoire.
1. “I try to be alert and available. I try to be available for life to happen to me."
2. "The secret is to have a sense of yourself, your real self, your unique self."
3. "Don’t think about your errors or failures, otherwise you’ll never do a thing."
4. "The more relaxed you are, the better you are at everything, the better you are with your loved ones, the better you are with enemies, the better you are at your job, the better you are with yourself."
5. "Unless you are a pizza, the answer is yes. I can live without you."
6. "People say I'm difficult and sometimes that's a badge of honor."
7. “When you play with great players, you play better, it just elevates your game.”
8. "This is not a dress rehearsal; this is your life."
9. "Religion is the worst enemy of mankind. Not a single war in history has killed as many people as religion has."
10. "There are people who drive me crazy, but they got the job done. And when I see that person again, I nod my head. Respect."
11. "I think romance basically starts with respect."
12. "I think if you can take care of yourself, and then maybe try to take care of someone else, that's sort of how you're supposed to live." YouTube/Charleston RiverDogs
13. "There aren't many downsides to being rich."
14. "Life is so damn short. For f*ck's sake, just do what makes you happy."
Wil Fulton is a writer for Supercompressor. He thinks Murray deserved the Oscar for Lost In Translation, sorry Sean Penn. Follow him @WilFulton.
Want more of the Culture you actually care about delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for our daily email.