Quality advertising is often described as a blend of artistry and science. Which in layman's terms translates to really, really f*cking hard.
The most ambitious advertising minds of our time made their living selling the idea of happiness to the general public, and alongside their natural talents, they developed a razor-sharp vantage point on how to live successfully. But what do I know, anyway? I'll let these guys do the talking...
Wine Workouts Are Just What We Need in our Fitness Routines Leo Burnett Worldwide 1. "To swear off making mistakes is very easy. All you have to do is swear off having ideas." - Leo Burnett Brian Bloom 2. "Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don't need to escape from." - Seth Godin SellorElse 3. "Develop your eccentricities while you are young. That way, when you get old, people won't think you're going gaga." - David Ogilvy DDbcol 4. "Any idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it." - William Bernbach AllanTYoung
5. "We’ve greatly exagerrated the risk of sinking, without celebrating the value of swimming." - Seth Godin Pubenstock
6. "Word of mouth is the best medium of all." - William Bernbach Productive! Magazine
7. "How dare you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable." - Seth Godin Psycologiasprzedazy
8. "Where people aren't having fun, they seldom produce good work." - David Ogilvy Adsotak
9. "The difference between the forgettable and the enduring is artistry." - William Bernbach Leo Burnett Worldwide
10. "Creative ideas flourish best in a shop which preserves some spirit of fun. Nobody is in business for fun, but that does not mean there cannot be fun in business." - Leo Burnett 1911MainStreet
11. "If you want to be interesting, be interested." - David Ogilvy MadameLefigaro
12. "The cost of being wrong is less than the cost of doing nothing." - Seth Godin Thirteen.org
13. "The best ideas come as jokes, make your thinking as funny as possible." - David Ogilvy Marketing.blog
14. "Hard work never killed a man. Men die of boredom, psychological conflict, and disease. They do not die of hard work." - David Ogilvy Leo Burnett Worldwide
15. "Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people." - Leo Burnett Ogilvy
16. "Never use jargon words like 'reconceptualize', 'demassification', 'attitudinally', 'judgmentally'. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass." - David Ogilvy AMC 17. "If you don't like what people are saying, change the conversation." - Don Draper
is a Staff Writer for Supercompressor. This article was brought to you, in part, by three cups of coffee and an anxious editor. Follow him Wil Fulton @WilFulton
Want more of the Culture you actually care about delivered straight to your inbox?
Click here to sign up for our daily email.