The 15 Most Instagrammed Bars in America
While we always judge a bar on the quality of its cocktails rather than the way it looks, we certainly relish spaces that both are gorgeous and serve top-notch drinks. But in this “pics or it didn’t happen” era, it’s plain to see why a beautiful space is more important than what’s in the glass to some people. To get an idea of what the social media savvy love in a watering hole, Instagram gave us exclusive intel on the top 15 geotagged bars in the United States. Check out these places to see what the fuss is about.
15. Beauty & Essex Los Angeles, Los AngelesThe Hollywood outpost of Beauty & Essex is quite a scene, with a massive 10,000 square-foot space that gives people plenty of Instagram opportunities. Think a courtyard, second-floor patio, giant chandeliers and a 20-foot skylight in the main dining room.
Beauty & Essex, 1615 Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
14. Refinery Rooftop, New YorkPerched atop Midtown Manhattan’s Refinery Hotel—a renovated turn-of-the-century hat factory—this expansive rooftop bar is designed with exposed brick walls and rustic wood details. Check out the buzzing scene at happy hour and order a bacon-infused maple Old Fashioned or barrel-aged Negroni.
Refinery Hotel, 63 W 38th St, New York, NY 10018
13. The Stonewall Inn, New YorkThis famous gay bar in NYC’s Greenwich Village is so much more than a neighborhood watering hole. The Stonewall Inn is famously the site of the 1969 Stonewall riots, which is considered to be one of the most important events in the fight for gay and lesbian rights in the United States. It’s also a National Historic Landmark, which is why so many people visit the bar each year.
The Stonewall Inn, 53 Christopher St, New York, NY 10014
12. The Rooftop at The Standard, Downtown L.A., Los AngelesIt’s easy to see why locals and tourists alike flock to The Standard, Downtown L.A.’s energetic rooftop lounge—it has a view of the neighborhood and mountains beyond, a heated pool, dance floor, outdoor fireplace, and waterbed pods. If you can get in, treat yourself to a Cheeky Grin, made with tequila, Licor 43, lime, cardamom, agave and black salt.
The Standard, Downtown L.A., 550 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071
11. Cheers Beacon Hill, BostonIt seems like everyone wants to go where someone knows your name, as the original Cheers pub in Boston is the 11th most Instagrammed bar in the entire country. Pop into the Beacon Hill neighborhood bar and grab a cold brew while you take in a slice of television history.
Cheers Beacon Hill, 84 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02108
10. SkyBar at Mondrian, Los AngelesThis open air, ivy-covered pavilion boasts one of the best views and hottest nightlife scenes in L.A. By day, you can sip refreshing cocktails by the pool, before it turns into a DJ-driven dance party after sunset.
Mondrian Los Angeles, 8440 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069
9. Boogalou Restaurant & Lounge, AtlantaAtlanta’s most stylish show off their dance moves at this Midtown restaurant and lounge. Designed with swings at the bar instead of stools, the spot has an edge for people looking for a unique drinking experience.
Boogalou Restaurant & Lounge, 239 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
8. The Press Lounge, New YorkDramatic panoramic views of the Manhattan skyline and Hudson River earned this rooftop lounge its Instagram cred, and the quality of the food and cocktails makes it an extra special place to spend an evening. Get your fix with the Constantia, a flavor-rich mix of rum, citrus chamomile syrup, lime juice and ginger beer.
The Press Lounge, 653 11th Ave, New York, NY 10036
7. Pat O'Brien's Bar, New OrleansWhile the bright red Hurricane served at Pat O’Brien’s is no longer the original recipe, sipping on one of the sugary beverages from a souvenir glass is a New Orleans right of passage. Down one while you wait for a table to open up at the dueling piano bar.
Pat O’Brien’s Bar, 718 St Peter St, New Orleans, LA 70116
6. Beauty & Essex, New YorkInside the well-curated modern pawn shop in New York’s Lower East Side neighborhood, you’ll find the New York location of Beauty & Essex. The glittering club-staurant features a two-story custom chandelier, two bars, and a ladies lounge with a complimentary champagne bar inside. Finish your meal with a White Russian Milkshake Shot, a dessert drink made with vodka, Kahlúa and chai spices.
Beauty & Essex, 146 Essex St, New York, NY 10002
5. Mr. Purple, New YorkA gorgeous indoor bar, ample outdoor seating and glistening rooftop pool are what keeps New Yorkers coming back to this bar on the 15th floor of the Hotel Indigo Lower East Side. Kick back in the loft-like space with a cocktail in hand, like the namesake Mr. Purple—made with Casamigos reposado tequila, cranberry liqueur, allspice dram, apple and lemon.
Mr. Purple, 180 Orchard Street, New York, NY 10002
4. Cindy's Rooftop, ChicagoWe would move into Cindy’s on the roof of the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel if we could, which also happens to be one of our favorite places to drink a Martini. The gorgeous restaurant and bar serves up Great Lakes beach house vibes alongside biodynamic wines and award-winning cocktails. Try a large format drink like the Daisy D’Apio, made with mezcal, Dolin Génépy Des Alpes, Apologue Celery Root Liqueur, lime and mint.
Cindy’s Rooftop, 12 S Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60603
3. Le Bain at The Standard, New YorkThis penthouse discothèque and rooftop bar in New York City’s club-heavy Meatpacking District comes in at No. 3 and it’s easy to see why: Sweeping views of the city and a plunge pool on the dance floor give it an edge over the city’s most exclusive establishments. Come for the world-class DJs and stay for the hoards of pretty downtown people.
The Standard, High Line, 848 Washington St, New York, NY 10014
2. The Signature Room at the 95th, ChicagoFloor-to-ceiling windows and a handsome Art Deco design are the main draws at this restaurant and bar atop Chicago’s John Hancock center. There are plenty of classic cocktails to nurse as you take in 360-degree views of the Windy City’s impressive skyline and glittering Lake Michigan.
The Signature Room at the 95th, 875 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
1. 230 FIFTH, New YorkWith a killer view of the Empire State Building, this massive rooftop space is the most Instagrammed bar in the entire country. Glowing winter igloos serve as photo-worthy shelters in the colder months. In the summer, the outdoor roofdeck is one of the largest in the city but still requires a hefty wait time on any given day of the week.
230 FIFTH, 230 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10001