Also known as Bajan Rum Punch (bajan being another term for Barbadian), this is one of the oldest cocktail recipes in existence. It dates to at least the early 1600s, and there’s a handy way to remember the formula: One of sour (lime), two of sweet (simple syrup), three of strong (rum), four of weak (water). Top with bitters and fresh nutmeg and you’re done.
Here are the complete deets:
- .5 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1.5 oz dark rum
- 2 oz water
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Fresh grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Fill a Collins glass with ice and add lime juice, simple syrup, rum, water, and bitters.
- Stir to combine and chill.
- Top with fresh grated nutmeg.