This vivid, violet sensation comes courtesy of bartender Cody Goldstein of The Horny Ram in Midtown Manhattan. It is of course inspired by the late, great Prince, and it’s definitely a showstopper. The secret ingredient that’s making purple reign inside the glass? Butterfly pea flower tea (available online), which starts out bright blue but takes on a magical purple hue when mixed with fresh lemon juice. The complete recipe is below, and the color is adjustable: add more lemon juice for a brighter, pinker drink, or more butterfly pea flower tea to take the purple to 11.
- 1.5 oz gin
- 2 oz butterfly pea flower tea
- .75 oz lavender syrup
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- Club soda, to top
- Lemon wheel, for garnish
- Brew blue pea flower tea per label instructions and let cool.
- Combine gin, tea, fresh lemon juice and lavender syrup in a mixing tin; fill halfway with ice and shake for five seconds.
- Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice
- Top with club soda and garnish with a lemon wheel.
Thrillist's Best (and the Rest): What's the Perfect Fast Food Meal?