The Cocktail Formerly Known As ...
This vivid, violet sensation comes courtesy of bartender Cody Goldstein of The Horny Ram in Midtown Manhattan. It is of course inspired by the late, great Prince, and it’s definitely a showstopper. The secret ingredient that’s making purple reign inside the glass? Butterfly pea flower tea (available online), which starts out bright blue but takes on a magical purple hue when mixed with fresh lemon juice. The complete recipe is below, and the color is adjustable: add more lemon juice for a brighter, pinker drink, or more butterfly pea flower tea to take the purple to 11.
- 1.5 oz gin
- 2 oz butterfly pea flower tea
- .75 oz lavender syrup
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- Club soda, to top
- Lemon wheel, for garnish
- Brew blue pea flower tea per label instructions and let cool.
- Combine gin, tea, fresh lemon juice and lavender syrup in a mixing tin; fill halfway with ice and shake for five seconds.
- Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice
- Top with club soda and garnish with a lemon wheel.