Yuzu is a terrific Japanese citrus with a flavor profile evenly balanced between lemon and lime, and it’s definitely the star of this ingenious cocktail from Kenta Goto, owner of Bar Goto on New York City’s Lower East Side. The yuzu is deployed in a marmalade that’s then combined with a lemon-ginger tea, fresh lemon juice, and honey syrup. The result is a unique and tasty spin on a classic Hot Toddy. But if yuzu is the star, then Laird’s Apple Brandy—speaking of unique and tasty—is the most important supporting player. If you’re not familiar with this legendary product, it’s definitely worth a look. Laird’s was a favorite of George Washington's back in the late 1700s, and it's still made the same way it was produced back then—and by the same family.
Here's how to whip it into the Yuzu Hot Toddy:
- 1.5 oz Laird’s Apple Brandy
- 1.5 oz lemon ginger tea
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- 3.5 tsp honey syrup
- 1 tsp yuzu marmalade, plus more for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir while heating, being sure not to let the mixture boil.
- Pour into a tea cup.
- Serve with a side plate of additional yuzu marmalade.
This Bubble Tea Is Set on Fire