An intriguing combination of pineapple juice, Campari, fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and dark rum (use so-called “black strap” for added depth), the Jungle Bird is one of the more underappreciated cocktails out there. It’s been called a “tropical Negroni” and that’s not a bad description of its bittersweet complexity. Perfect for a beach day with a mix of sun and clouds.
Here are the specs:
- 1.5 oz dark rum
- 1.5 oz pineapple juice
- .75 oz Campari
- .5 oz fresh lime juice
- .5 oz simple syrup
- Pineapple wedge, for garnish
- Add rum, pineapple juice, Campari, lime juice, and simple syrup to a shaker tin filled with ice.
- Shake to combine and chill.
- Strain over fresh ice in a Rocks glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge.
Charleston: The Ultimate Local's Guide