Whiskey Drinks Everyone Should Know: Manhattan
No one disputes that a classic Manhattan is two parts rye (or bourbon) whiskey, one part sweet vermouth and a few dashes of bitters. Other details are up for debate: Angostura bitters or orange bitters? (Or a combination?) How about the garnish? Some form of cherry—maraschino, marinated, etc.—is customary these days, but some people go with a cherry and an orange twist. This version calls for a lemon twist garnish, expressed over the top of the drink for a nice, citrusy, oily sheen. Once you try it, you may never turn back.
- 2 oz rye or bourbon whiskey
- 1 oz sweet vermouth
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Lemon peel, for garnish
- Combine whiskey, vermouth, and bitters in a mixing glass.
- Add cracked ice, and stir to chill and combine.
- Strain into a chilled Coupe glass.
- Express lemon peel over the drink and drop it in.