Today in Two Great Tastes that Taste Great Together news we bring you the Peanut Butter & Jelly Old Fashioned, a mashup of childhood nostalgia and grown-up taste that works shockingly well. Developed by Tim Weigel, chief mixologist for the Hakkasan Group, this signature riff on the classic can be found at Searsucker's San Diego and Las Vegas locations.
Weigel told Supercall that the cocktail was inspired by Smucker's Peanut Butter and Jelly Uncrustables sandwiches. "My daughter always has a huge box in the freezer, and I'll take one every once in a while," he said. "I thought, 'You know what? This would make a pretty good drink somewhere.'" He was right. The PB & J is a top seller at Searsucker. “People love it,” says Constantin Alexander, beverage director for the Hakkasan Group. “We sell a ton of these.”
We don't doubt it. Here's how to make it at home:
- 2 oz peanut-infused bourbon†
- .5 oz Fassionola syrup
- 1 strawberry
- 2 dashes strawberry-orange bitters*
- Smucker’s Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly Uncrustable, for garnish
- Strawberry slice, for garnish
- Muddle the strawberry in a mixing glass.
- Add bourbon, Fassionola, bitters, and ice.
- Stir and double-strain over fresh ice in Rocks glass.
- Garnish with a quarter of an Uncrustable and strawberry slice, speared together.
- 1 750 ML bottle of bourbon
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- Chop peanuts for a minute in a food processor
- Add peanuts to the bourbon and allow to infuse in a mason jar or similar vessel for three days.
- Strain peanuts through a cheesecloth over a medium bowl, then transfer to bottle of your choice.
- 6 strawberries
- 4 oz Everclear
- 1 oz orange bitters
- Using a mason jar or similar airtight vessel, soak strawberries in Everclear for three days.
- Strain out the strawberries and combine resulting tincture with 1 oz orange bitters.
- Add to a bitters bottle.
'Last Week Tonight' Writer Josh Gondelman Takes Shots, Talks About Working For John Oliver