Make some lemon iced tea, add a little mint to it, along with some citrus and a few sprigs of thyme, and load it into a French press. Then add scotch. Three ounces of scotch. Let the entire glorious mixture sit for a while, and the herbaceous, savory thyme will round out the smoky, peaty notes in the scotch, creating a highly quaffable beverage. This is the Evolution, and it comes from Sean Potter at Stoke, in Charlotte, NC. There’s enough of it to share with a friend, but no rule saying you have to.
Here’s the complete recipe:
- 3 oz scotch
- 1 scoop mint tea
- 12 oz lemon iced tea*
- 2 thick lemon wheels
- 2 thick orange wheels
- 2 small sprigs thyme, more for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a French press. Pump press down and leave raised a quarter inch below liquid line.
- Let steep for one minute.
- Press pump all the way down, pour serving into a coffee cup, and garnish with a sprig of thyme.
*Lemon Iced Tea
- 1 liter of tea
- ½ cup simple syrup
- 2 oz fresh lemon juice
- Mix tea, simple syrup, and lemon juice together and chill.
'Last Week Tonight' Writer Josh Gondelman Takes Shots, Talks About Working For John Oliver