Food & Drink

Americans would rather quit booze than stop drinking coffee

In case you missed it, National Coffee Day just happened, and apparently everyone got so hopped up on the stuff that they made some pretty bold statements about it; convenience store retailer Cumberland Farms conducted a survey of its customers and discovered that, given a choice between the two, 69 percent of those surveyed would rather give up booze than coffee (for a week). We have no idea what the other 31 percent drink in the morning.

They also made these findings:

56 percent would be willing to come into work late if it meant being able to get their cup of joe.
51 percent would rather have a week of jury duty than give up coffee for the same period of time. The justice system works!
65 percent of people polled would rather drink iced coffee than hot coffee, if they had to have exclusively one type year-round.

Based on these results, Cumberland Farms is now introducing Free Coffee Fridays all throughout October -- customers can get a free hot or iced coffee of any size, and nobody has to give up anything! Except maybe their sleep cycle.

Adam Lapetina is a food/drink staff writer for Thrillist, and likes both of these beverages. Read his musings on Twitter at @adamlapetina.