A bar in the United Kingdom was fined $155,000 this week, following a 2012 incident in which one of its bartenders served an 18-year-old girl a free shot of "Nitro Jagermeister," which is exactly what it sounds like: liquid nitrogen, mixed with every college student's preferred liquor, Jager.
Gaby Scanlon, the girl in question, was served the shot at Oscar's Wine Bar & Bistro in celebration of her 18th birthday (drinking age in the UK), and although she was hesitant to down the still-vaporous beverage, one witness claims the bartender told her to "drink it while it's still smoking."
Now, serving drinks with liquid nitrogen isn't unheard of -- it's often used to flash-chill cocktails -- but you're supposed to let the stuff revert to its gaseous form while it's in the glass before consuming the drink. So, the opposite of what the bartender allegedly said.
Scanlon's stomach started expanding almost immediately after downing the brew, and smoke began belching forth from her nose and mouth. She was eventually taken to a local hospital, where she learned that the nitrogen had perforated the lining of her stomach and killed much of the internal tissue, forcing doctors to save her life by removing her stomach entirely and connecting her esophagus directly to her small bowel.
Turns out, the bar's staff had only received "loose" training on the use of liquid nitrogen in drinks, something a health and safety officer had actually expressed concerns over prior to the incident.
Three years and a $155,000-dollar lawsuit later, Scanlon still experiences bouts of extreme pain and can no longer enjoy eating. The bar, meanwhile, is still in business (for now) and sports a 4.1-star rating on Facebook. Time really does heal
all some wounds!
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.
Gianni Jaccoma is a staff writer for Thrillist, and he’s pretty sure he had a nightmare about this once. Follow his explosive tweets @gjaccoma, and send your news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org