Photo: Eric Helgas / Styling: Ali Nardi
The Kentucky Derby demands mint juleps, but even old classics can still benefit from an update. We asked bartender Davey Jones (real name) for a new spin -- one that speaks to his, ahem, seafaring roots.
A Southern Pirate's Julep
- 1 ounce Bulleit bourbon
- .5 ounce El Dorado 12 year rum
- .75 ounce pineapple Demerara syrup (1 cup of 2:1 Demerara, blended with 1 cup fresh squeezed pineapple juice)
- Add ingredients to shaker and dry shake.
- Pour into a julep cup.
- Add some crushed ice swizzle.
- Top with crushed ice garnish with fresh sliced pineapple wedge and pineapple bract ("or leaves? whatever you call those things that stick out of the top of a pineapple") and powdered sugar.