The Hot Toddy Goes Luxe in this Amazing Variation
Like its name implies, this Hot Toddy variation is plush and luxurious. Created by Rachel Sergi of The Next Whiskey Bar in Washington D.C.’s Watergate Hotel, the Mink Coat has a base of scotch infused with Navalino oranges and cassia bark, a dash of rye whiskey, hot Ceylon black tea, and Demerara syrup for sweetness. Topping it all off is a medley of seasonal spices resting on a pillowy bed of clementine espuma (aka foam).
Here’s the recipe they use at The Next Whiskey Bar:
- 1.5 oz Compass Box Orangerie
- .5 oz Angel’s Envy Rye
- .5 oz Ceylon black tea, hot
- .75 oz Demerara syrup (2:1)
- Clementine espuma
- Allspice berry, for garnish
- Clove, for garnish
- Star anise pod, for garnish
- Orange twist, for garnish
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Warm a glass mug with hot water, allowing it to sit while you prepare the black tea.
- In a mixing glass, add the spirits and the Demerara syrup to the black tea, and stir
- Discard hot water from the glass mug, and replace it with the tea mixture.
- Top with clementine espuma, and garnish with cinnamon stick, star anise, allspice, clove and orange twist.