Like its name implies, this Hot Toddy variation is plush and luxurious. Created by Rachel Sergi of The Next Whiskey Bar in Washington D.C.’s Watergate Hotel, the Mink Coat has a base of scotch infused with Navalino oranges and cassia bark, a dash of rye whiskey, hot Ceylon black tea, and Demerara syrup for sweetness. Topping it all off is a medley of seasonal spices resting on a pillowy bed of clementine espuma (aka foam).
Here’s the recipe they use at The Next Whiskey Bar:
- 1.5 oz Compass Box Orangerie
- .5 oz Angel’s Envy Rye
- .5 oz Ceylon black tea, hot
- .75 oz Demerara syrup (2:1)
- Clementine espuma
- Allspice berry, for garnish
- Clove, for garnish
- Star anise pod, for garnish
- Orange twist, for garnish
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Warm a glass mug with hot water, allowing it to sit while you prepare the black tea.
- In a mixing glass, add the spirits and the Demerara syrup to the black tea, and stir
- Discard hot water from the glass mug, and replace it with the tea mixture.
- Top with clementine espuma, and garnish with cinnamon stick, star anise, allspice, clove and orange twist.