10. Every year, they serve 2 BILLION cups of coffee
... and only three people know the exact blend and roast they use.
11. They changed the dictionary
The Canadian Oxford English Dictionary now lists “double-double”.
12. The rollup prizes are weirdly unfair sometimes
They’re distributed across the country by geography, not population, meaning if you live in the middle of Saskatchewan, you’re many times more likely to win than if you live in Downtown Toronto.
13. They originally sold hamburgers
Yep, hockey player Tim Horton, co-founder of the company, insisted their first stores sell char-grilled beef pucks. And the coffee? It cost just 10 cents.
14. There was a persistent rumor that Tim Hortons added nicotine to their coffee
So addictive was their java, that in the early 2000s, a rumor was spread that they were spiking the stuff with nicotine. So persistent was this rumor, that in '04, CBC news program Disclosure performed a few tests... and found nothing (except that they use less caffeine than Starbucks).