Drink This Winter Bourbon Smash and Conquer Cold Weather Forever
Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon, Sage, and Mushrooms
- 1 box TJ's cornbread stuffing mix
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 14.5-ounce container TJ's mirepoix
- 1 12-ounce bag TJ's Mushroom Medley
- 4 fresh sage leaves, torn up into small pieces
- 2 ½ cups (or more) TJ's chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fry bacon in a big pan (a cast-iron skillet if you have one) until it's nice and crispy. Save about 2 tablespoons of the drippings in the pan. You're gonna need it.
- Add the container of pre-diced mirepoix to the pan. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper, then sauté it over medium-high until tender and beginning to brown. That'll take about 10 minutes, during which time you can practice pronouncing mirepoix.
- Add mushrooms and sage to the pan and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place cornbread cubes from stuffing mix in large mixing bowl. Pour mushroom mixture over the cubes. Add bacon and toss to blend, then mix in 2 cups broth. Mix eggs into stuffing, blending well. Your stuffing should be quite wet… if it seems too dry, add more stock, a ½ cup at a time.
- Transfer to baking dish or cast-iron skillet and bake at 350°F until cooked through and golden brown on top (about 1 hour). Now say it again: "mir-pwah." Damn that sounds classy!