Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza, the Ultimate Party Appetizer
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted Irish butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners sugar
- Special Supplies:
- Spring-loaded melon baller
- Candy/deep fry thermometer
- Skewers baking sheet paper towels
Directions:1. Using a spring-loaded melon baller, scoop butter into round balls and place on baking sheets lined with paper towels. Place in freezer to firm.
2. In a small bowl, combine light brown sugar and 1 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon. Roll each butter ball in the mixture and place back into freezer. Freeze for 2 hours.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and sugar. Stir buttermilk mixture into dry mixture. It should have the consistency of thick pancake batter that will adhere to the butter balls. Add additional flour if needed.
5. Pour 1 1⁄2 to 2 inches of canola oil into a stockpot. Heat to 375°F.
6. Take butter balls out of the freezer and insert a skewer into each one. Dip in the batter to coat completely, then drop into the hot oil and cook, turning periodically, until golden brown and puffy, about 2 minutes.
7. Place on paper towels to drain. Dust with confectioners sugar.