All 110 times Homer Simpson says, "Mmm..."
Homer Simpson says "D'oh" a lot. Probably eleventy-billion times, considering the show's been on for 25 years this December. But when Homer's not mad at himself for screwing something up, he's hungry.
In honor of Homer's legendary hunger for everything (even pie-pants!), we watched hours and hours and hours of everyone's favorite cartoon family and wrote down every time Homer said, "Mmm...".
1. Mmm... marshmallow.Season 1, Episode 4 -- "There's No Disgrace Like Home"
Why he says it: Homer looks at a Jell-O mold.
2. Mmm... cupcakes.Season 1, Episode 5 -- "Bart the General"
Why he says it: Marge makes the family (and Nelson) cupcakes.
3. Mmm... chocolate.Season 1, Episode 12 -- "Krusty Gets Busted"
Why he says it: Homer looks through the ice cream in Apu's freezer.
4. Mmm... hoors doovers.Season 2, Episode 20 -- "The War of the Simpsons"
Why he says it: Homer looks at a tray of sandwiches shaped to look like the phrase "ENJOY OUR PARTY SNACKS".
5. Mmm... pancakes.Season 3, Episode 1 -- "Stark Raving Dad"
Why he says it: Homer is in a mental hospital about to eat pancakes.
6. Mmm... money.Season 3, Episode 2 -- "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington"
Why he says it: Homer drools on a bald man's head after watching money being printed at the Washington Mint.
7. Mmm... barbecue.Season 3, Episode 3 -- "When Flanders Failed"
Why he says it: Homer smells barbecue coming from Flanders' house.
8. Mmm... purple.Season 3, Episode 5 -- "Homer Defined"
Why he says it: Homer sticks his finger into a donut to remove the filling.
9. Mmm... sprin-kles.Season 3, Episode 7 -- "Treehouse of Horror II"
Why he says it: Homer reacts after eating a dozen donuts in one bite (his mind was implanted in a robot's body, obviously).
10. Mmm... spaghetti.Season 3, Episode 7 -- "Treehouse of Horror II"
Why he says it: Homer and Mr. Burns are a two-headed person, and they're sitting down to eat a meal.
11. Mmm... beer.Season 3, Episode 8 -- "Lisa's Pony"
Why he says it: Homer is looking at Moe's Tavern, when he should be buying Lisa a reed next door at the music shop.
12. Mmm... salty.Season 3, Episode 8 -- "Lisa's Pony"
Why he says it: Homer became an employee at Kwik-E-Mart and is eating jerky on the job.
13. Mmm... hot wax.Season 3, Episode 11 -- "Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk"
Why he says it: Homer dreams of having his car washed after cashing in $25 worth of power plant stock.
14. Mmm... the land of chocolate.Season 3, Episode 11 -- "Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk"
Why he says it: When Germans interested in taking over the power plant tell Homer they're from "the land of chocolate", Homer imagines frolicking about a literal land of chocolate.
15. Mmm... chocolate.Season 3, Episode 13 -- "Radio Bart"
Why he says it: Homer says this three separate times as he opens up boxes of Neapolitan ice cream, only to find there's no chocolate each time.
16. Mmm... crumbled-up cookie things.Season 3, Episode 14 -- "Lisa the Greek"
Why he says it: Homer explains to Lisa why "gambling makes a good thing better" and gets sidetracked with his description of ice cream toppings.
17. Mmm... strained peas.Season 3, Episode 15 -- "Homer Alone"
Why he says it: Homer is feeding Maggie baby food, and, after he tries some, gets caught up in how good it tastes.
18. Mmm... donuts.Season 3, Episode 17 -- "Homer at the Bat"
Why he says it: Homer reacts about donuts right before ignoring Lenny's warning to stop eating donuts so fast or he'll choke.
19. Mmm... potato chips.Season 3, Episode 17 -- "Homer at the Bat"
Why he says it: While Mr. Burns is telling him about all the complicated signals he might call in the baseball game he's about to play in, Homer thinks about chips instead.
20. Mmm... snouts.Season 3, Episode 19 -- "Dog of Death"
Why he says it: Homer is jealous that Santa's Little Helper gets to eat snouts and entrails, and he is forced to eat "chub" on "chub night".
21. Mmm... fattening.Season 4, Episode 3 -- "Homer the Heretic"
Why he says it: Homer is getting excited as he cooks "moon waffles" with liquid smoke.
22. Mmm... burger.Season 4, Episode 6 -- "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie"
Why he says it: Homer is reminded of burgers after offhandedly naming Supreme Court justices, including Warren Burger.
23. Mmm... Soylent Green.Season 4, Episode 6 -- "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie"
Why he says it: Homer, 40 years in the future, watches someone order Soylent Green from a movie concession stand.
24. Mmm... shrimp.Season 4, Episode 8 -- "New Kid on the Block"
Why he says it: Homer thinks about shrimp after Marge tells him she went into convulsions the last time she ate it.
25. Mmm... hog fat.Season 4, Episode 10 -- "Lisa's First Word"
Why he says it: Homer and Marge go house-hunting, and he is told that the home they're standing inside is right next to a meat-rendering plant.
26. Mmm... ham.Season 4, Episode 11 -- "Homer's Triple Bypass"
Why he says it: Homer had a heart attack in Mr. Burns' office, and his soul is expressing hunger for pig after it left his body.
27. Mmm... chicken.Season 4, Episode 12 -- "Marge vs. The Monorail"
Why he says it: In the midst of trying to woo Marge in bed, Homer gets sidetracked from a song he was singing to her about chicken.
28. Mmm... grapefruit.Season 4, Episode 14 -- "Brother from the Same Planet"
Why he says it: Homer is remembering the time Bart told him to shut up and then shoved a grapefruit in his face.
29. Mmm... gummi beer.Season 4, Episode 16 -- "Duffless"
Why he says it: Homer reacts to eating a handful of gummi beer on the Duff Beer tour.
Season 4, Episode 17 -- "Last Exit to Springfield"
30. Mmm... organized crime.
Why he says it: Homer is thinking about becoming a union leader and having lifelong connections to organized crime.
31. Mmm... grazie.Season 4, Episode 17 -- "Last Exit to Springfield"
Why he says it: Homer dreams that a man on the street baked a donut specially for him.
32. Mmm... beer.Season 4, Episode 18 -- "Whacking Day"
Why he says it: Homer loved the beer he just drank, but quickly realizes Bart just told him he got suspended.
33. Mmm... chocolate.Season 4, Episode 20 -- "So, It's Come To This, A Simpson's Clip Show"
Why he says it: Homer sees a vending machine from his wheelchair.
34. Mmm... beer.Season 4, Episode 20 -- "So, It's Come To This, A Simpson's Clip Show"
Why he says it: Homer hears beer can cause "cancer of the rectum" on a PSA.
35. Mmm... pie.Season 4, Episode 21 -- "Marge in Chains"
Why he says it: Homer hears Apu testify at Marge's trial that he can recite all the digits of pi.
36. Mmm... delicious.Season 4, Episode 22 -- "Krusty Gets Cancelled"
Why he says it: After screaming because he got hit in the face with a pie right out of the oven by Krusty, Homer resigns himself to the fact that it's still tasty.
37. Mmm... 64 slices of American cheese.Season 5, Episode 4 -- "Rosebud"
Why he says it: Homer reacts to his midnight snack, before eating all 64 slices as Smithers and Burns hang from his ceiling, trying to steal Maggie's bear.
38. Mmm... forbidden donut.Season 5, Episode 5 -- "Treehouse of Horror IV"
Why he says it: Homer becomes enamored with the donut for which he sold his soul to the devil.
Season 5, Episode 5 -- "Treehouse of Horror IV"
39. Mmm... business deal.
Why he says it: Homer watches Mr. Burns say on the news that he's going to buy the Springfield Blood Bank. Then he wipes blood off his face and eats it.
40. Mmm... invisible cola.Season 5, Episode 6 -- "Marge on the Lam"
Why he says it: Homer sees a soda machine for Crystal Buzz Cola. (Crystal Pepsi debuted a year before this aired.)
41. Mmm... candy.Season 5, Episode 6 -- "Marge on the Lam"
Why he says it: Homer, while his hand is stuck in the soda machine, is transfixed with another vending machine with candy in it (which he also gets his hand stuck in).
42. Mmm... convenient.Season 5, Episode 6 -- "Marge on the Lam"
Why he says it: Homer imagines Maggie getting married while his hands are still stuck in the vending machine, and he dispenses "candy and sodas for all" to the guests.
43. Mmm... free goo.Season 5, Episode 8 -- "Boy-Scoutz 'N the Hood"
Why he says it: Homer tastes bubblegum that is covering Milhouse and Bart, who just popped a bubble on themselves while singing a song about Springfield (after they ate a super-sugary Squishee at Apu's).
44. Mmm... apple.Season 5, Episode 8 -- "Boy-Scoutz 'N the Hood"
Why he says it: After falling through a huge hole in the driveway (he was tricked into thinking there was a piece of apple pie on the driveway), Homer accepts that he is trapped in a huge hole and chooses to enjoy the pie.
45. Mmm... hamburger.Season 5, Episode 8 -- "Boy-Scoutz 'N the Hood"
Why he says it: Homer smells Krusty Burgers whilst on a raft that he, Bart, Ned & Rod Flanders are stuck on in the middle of the ocean.
46. Mmm... foot-long chili dog.Season 5, Episode 9 -- "The Last Temptation of Homer"
Why he says it: Homer and Mindy see a chili dog at the same time while they are eating room service on a bed together.
47. Mmm... Marge.Season 5, Episode 9 -- "The Last Temptation of Homer"
Why he says it: While in bed with Homer, Marge finds a turkey behind the four-poster. Homer is overcome with emotion.
48. Mmm... mediciney.Season 5, Episode 15 -- "Deep Space Homer"
Why he says it: Homer and Barney are fighting to be astronauts, and Homer drinks all the stuff (maybe it was mercury?) in a test tube that he was supposed to be blowing air into.
49. Mmm... sacrilicious.Season 5, Episode 16 -- "Homer Loves Flanders"
Why he says it: Homer eats a waffle Bart threw on the ceiling after praying that he'd get tickets to the football game. Flanders then answers his prayer by showing up at his door with two tickets to the Springfield/Shelbyville Football Classic.
50. Mmm... elephant fresh.Season 5, Episode 17 -- "Bart Gets an Elephant"
Why he says it: Homer is lovingly "groomed" by a bird sitting on his head, similar to how the birds groom an elephant.
51. Mmm... caramel.Season 5, Episode 17 -- "Bart Gets an Elephant"
Why he says it: Bart and Lisa are stuck to Homer, who is covered in tar, which Marge says is exactly what happened to them at the caramel factory.
52. Mmm... something.Season 6, Episode 3 -- "Another Simpsons Clip Show"
Why he says it: Who the hell knows... this was a "clip" from a Simpsons episode that was cut or was made specifically for the clip show.
53. Mmm... bowling fresh.Season 6, Episode 13 -- "And Maggie Makes Three"
Why he says it: Homer flashes back to when he worked at Bowlarama, where he sprayed bowling shoes as part of his job...
54. Mmm... urinal fresh.Season 6, Episode 13 -- "And Maggie Makes Three"
Why he says it: He also made sure the bowling alley's urinals had new cakes.
55. Mmm... slanty.Season 6, Episode 17 -- "Homer vs. Patty and Selma"
Why he says it: Homer celebrates being lent money by Patty and Selma by tilting his chair back at the dinner table.
56. Mmm... beer nuts.Season 6, Episode 17 -- "A Star Is Burns"
Why he says it: Homer shows Marge a "Beer Nuts" can, and says "suckers will think it's beer nuts". He then immediately forgets.
57. Mmm... incapacitating.Season 6, Episode 23 -- "The Springfield Connection"
Why he says it: Homer asks to use Marge's pepper spray (she joined Springfield PD) to help the food he's eating go instantly "South of the border".
58. Mmm... sprinkles.Season 7, Episode 6 -- "Treehouse of Horror VI"
Why he says it: Homer can't stop staring at the huge Lard Lad monster and his enormous donut, even after everyone else in town has stopped ogling the advertising monsters.
59. Mmm... unprocessed fish sticks.Season 7, Episode 6 -- "Treehouse of Horror VI"
Why he says it: Homer's trapped in a 3D world and, while he's there, notices fish in a pond.
60. Mmm... open-faced club sand wedge.Season 7, Episode 14 -- "Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield"
Why he says it: Homer and Mr. Burns go golfing, and, when Homer's ball goes into a sand trap, Burns recommends a club.
61. Mmm... pointy.Season 7, Episode 19 -- "A Fish Called Selma"
Why he says it: Homer eats the "candy" bride/groom from Selma and Troy McClure's wedding cake, and it hurts going down.
62. Mmm... recirculated air.Season 9, Episode 3 -- "Lisa's Sax"
Why he says it: Homer enjoys near-freezing temperatures in his house after stealing Flanders' air conditioner.
63. Mmm... memo.Season 9, Episode 14 -- "Das Bus"
Why he says it: Homer tries to start an Internet business, and keeps his pencils in Marge's "good butter". When he goes to write a memo, he licks the tip of the pencil.
64. Mmm... me.Season 9, Episode 16 -- "Dumbbell Indemnity"
Why he says it: Moe tries to illustrate a plan for Homer by putting an olive on the bar and saying, "This olive is you." Homer eats it.
65. Mmm... donuts.Season 9, Episode 19 -- "Simpson Tide"
Why he says it: After dreaming that the donuts on the Planet of Doughnuts were going to sentence him to death for eating too many donuts, Homer wakes up. And goes to eat donuts.
66. Mmm... loganberry.Season 10, Episode 3 -- "Bart the Mother"
Why he says it: Homer smells Bart's candle he got from the mayor to honor him for saving the town from pigeons.
67. Mmm... semi-imported.Season 10, Episode 9 -- "Mayored to the Mob"
Why he says it: Moe gives Homer a Duffenbrau because he visits Moe's with the mayor (he is his new bodyguard, of course).
68. Mmm... hippo.Season 10, Episode 19 -- "Mom and Pop Art"
Why he says it: While in a big-box home improvement shop, Homer sees a TV ad that shows you can roast a chicken, wild boar, swordfish, or... a hippo.
69. Mmm... split pea (with ham!).Season 10, Episode 19 -- "Mom and Pop Art"
Why he says it: Homer sees a Campbell's Soup Warhol in an art museum.
70. Mmm... $50 pretzels.Season 10, Episode 23 -- "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo"
Why he says it: Homer eats a pretzel at a sumo match in Japan.
71. Mmm... ovulicious.Season 11, Episode 7 -- "Eight Misbehavin'"
Why he says it: Homer pops a fertility drug into his mouth after admitting he has also been slipping fertility drugs to Apu's wife Manjula (along with the rest of the Simpson family).
72. Mmm... Danish.Season 11, Episode 12 -- "The Mansion Family"
Why he says it: Homer asks for a keg of Moe's finest imported beer, Tuborg, which Moe calls "the beer of Danish kings".
73. Mmm... sugar wall.Season 12, Episode 1 -- "Treehouse of Horror XI"
Why he says it: Homer busts through Hansel & Gretel's gingerbread house to save "Hansel" (Bart) and "Gretel" (Lisa) from the witch by eating it, of course.
74. Mmm... fish.Season 12, Episode 1 -- "Treehouse of Horror XI"
Why he says it: The Hansel & Gretel witch turned Homer's head into a fish, and, when she plunges his face into an oven, he smells something good.
75. Mmm... donuts.Season 12, Episode 4 -- "Lisa the Treehugger"
Why he says it: Homer does donuts in his car in the parking lot, which is somehow his way of "saving the environment".
Season 12, Episode 9 -- "HOMR"
76. Mmm... hug.
Why he says it: Homer hugs Lisa and eats a sandwich at the same time.
77. Mmm... turbulent.Season 12, Episode 17 -- "Simpson Safari"
Why he says it: Homer eats animal crackers Marge warned him "were made in the '60s".
78. Mmm... various eggs.Season 13, Episode 1 -- "Treehouse of Horror XII"
Why he says it: Homer is served dinner by a house of the future.
79. Mmm... unexplained bacon.Season 13, Episode 1 -- "Treehouse of Horror XII"
Why he says it: The house of the future tries to kill Homer by luring him into the kitchen by cooking bacon in the middle of the night.
80. Mmm... pistol whip.Season 13, Episode 4 -- "Hunka Hunka Burns in Love"
Why he says it: While Homer drives, Snake threatens to pistol whip a woman he's holding hostage, and Homer can't help but imagine eating creamy, delicious "Pistol Whip" off of a pistol.
81. Mmm... pie-pants.Season 13, Episode 6 -- "She of Little Faith"
Why he says it: Milhouse says to Bart, "I didn't know your Dad was interested in science." Bart then convinces Homer that Milhouse said he was "interested in pie-pants".
82. Mmm... caramel bologna.Season 13, Episode 19 -- "The Sweetest Apu"
Why he says it: Apu cheats on his wife, and confesses to Homer that he always thought karma was baloney.
83. Mmm... donuts.Season 14, Episode 1 -- "Treehouse of Horror XIII"
Why he says it: The military flies huge donuts over a sea of Homer clones in an attempt to lure and kill them all.
84. Mmm... feed.Season 14, Episode 3 -- "Bart vs. Lisa vs. Third Grade"
Why he says it: Homer reacts to Flanders' new channel that gives him access to the NBC News feed.
85. Mmm... steamed Gentile.Season 14, Episode 6 -- "The Great Louse Detective"
Why he says it: After he opens the steam room and a wrinkly Homer falls out, Krusty asks who ordered the steamed Gentile.
86. Mmm... trophy.Season 14, Episode 7 -- "Special Edna"
Why he says it: Homer bought himself a "World's Greatest Dad" mug because it was filled with gummi worms, which he thought would help him catch a gummi fish. The plan, of course, works out successfully, and Homer takes a bite out of the gummi-fish trophy hanging on his wall.
87. Mmm... McNuggets.Season 14, Episode 8 -- "The Dad Who Knew Too Little"
Why he says it: In a personalized Western video Homer made Lisa for her birthday, Homer dubs in that Lisa's favorite food is McNuggets.
88. Mmm... far-fetched.Season 14, Episode 10 -- "Pray Anything"
Why he says it: Homer imagines a 7ft-tall Chinese basketball player is holding him up to the moon so he can take a bite out of it.
89. Mmm... move over eggs, bacon just got a new best friend: fudge!Season 14, Episode 10 -- "Pray Anything"
Why he says it: After praying for a "delicious new treat", Homer swerves to miss a fudge truck, which causes a bacon truck to crash. The resulting concoction flies into Homer's car.
90. Mmm... garnish.Season 14, Episode 11 -- "Barting Over"
Why he says it: The court orders Bart to be emancipated and for Homer's wages to be garnished.
91. Mmm... promo.Season 14, Episode 14 -- "Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington"
Why he says it: Homer eats a Joe Millionaire ad that pops up on the bottom of the screen.
92. Mmm... bad eggs.Season 14, Episode 16 -- '"Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky"
Why he says it: Marge hears a commotion on the streets, which she blames on "bad eggs".
93. Mmm... Moses.Season 15, Episode 5 -- "The Fat and the Furriest"
Why he says it: Homer watches a Veggie Tales rip-off on TV through the window of a Sprawl-Mart, and Moses (played by a pickle), makes an impassioned speech.
94. Mmm... hot dog.Season 16, Episode 11 -- "On a Clear Day I Can't See My Sister"
Why he says it: In a flashback, Bart tries to cheer up Lisa by putting a hot dog bun around Homer's hand while he's asleep, and then waking him up. Homer bites into his hand over and over again.
95. Mmm... soggy bread.Season 16, Episode 20 -- "Home Away From Homer"
Why he says it: Ned is upset that the entire town knew about the dirty webcam show filmed in his house, so he complains out loud that, even though the Bible says, "cast your bread upon the waters", all he got was "soggy bread".
96. Mmm... Homer-oats.Season 17, Episode 3 -- "MilHouse of Sand and Fog"
Why he says it: Homer gets chickenpox, so Marge makes him an oatmeal bath. He sits in it... and then starts to eat it.
97. Mmm... Snickers pie.Season 17, Episode 11 -- "We're on the Road to D'ohwhere"
Why he says it: He mentions to Bart that he is one Snickers pie away from diabetes...
98. Mmm... extra virgin.Season 18, Episode 4 -- "Treehouse of Horror XVII"
Why he says it: Homer eats an odd alien goo, which causes him to eat everything in sight, including a teenager he finds at a beach party.
99. Mmm... soggy, smoky hero.Season 18, Episode 19 -- "Crook and Ladder"
Why he says it: After becoming a volunteer fireman, Homer is woken up by a fire alarm in the middle of the night. As he leaves Marge, he says the next time he sees her, he'll be a "soggy, smoky hero".
100. Mmm... au jus.Season 19, Episode 2 -- "Homer of Seville"
Why he says it: Homer extolls au jus, claiming it's "not quite gravy, not quite blood".
101. Mmm... Developed By.Season 19, Episode 5 -- "Treehouse of Horror XVIII"
Why he says it: Homer eats Marge's meatloaf, which doubled as the opening credits for the show.
102. Mmm... pork pie.Season 19, Episode 7 -- "Husbands and Knives"
Why he says it: Homer somehow overhears Bart make fun of a "cool" guy in a comic book shop for wearing a pork pie hat, even though he's at work in the nuclear plant.
103. Mmm... pickle.Season 19, Episode 9 -- "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpsons Mind"
Why he says it: Moe shows Homer what was in his "Forget Me Shot" that erases your memory -- it includes Absolut Pickle.
104. Mmm... lamb.Season 19, Episode 14 -- "Dial 'N' for Nerder"
Why he says it: Homer goes to a motel with his arm around a blonde in a trench coat. When he gets into the room, he takes off the trench coat, revealing that it's just a shawarma machine.
105. Mmm... terrible.Season 19, Episode 20 -- "All About Lisa"
Why he says it: Homer finds a pepperoni slice from 1978, amongst a pile full of pennies, and eats it.
106. Mmm... historically inaccurate.Season 23, Episode 21 -- "Ned 'n Edna's Blend Agenda"
Why he says it: Bart reminds Homer that he'd "eat his hat" if Flanders got remarried, so he takes off his "crown of thorns" (he was playing Jesus at the time) and eats it.
107. Mmm... so slivered.Season 25, Episode 1 -- "Homerland"
Why he says it: At dinner, Homer suspiciously passes on the pork chop with Cheetos dust to go for the slivered almonds instead.
108. Mmm... melon collie.Season 25, Episode 4 -- "YOLO"
Why he says it: Marge tells Homer she feels melancholy. Homer imagines a collie made of melons.
109. Mmm... sandwich.Season 26, Episode 3 -- "Super Franchise Me"
Why he says it: Prehistoric Homer (in a flashback, of course) makes a super old-school version of the KFC Double Down, and present-day Homer sees said sandwich in a museum.
110. Mmm... I smell toast.Season 26, Episode 4 -- "Treehouse of Horror XXV"
Why he says it: Homer's ghost hits present-day Homer on the head with a toaster.