Flat Beer & Day-Old-Bread Porridge
Total Time: Active Time: 30 min/Inactive Time: 30 min
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 pound stale rye (or other) bread, torn into small pieces or crumbled (5½ cups)
- 2 cups flat beer, preferably dark beer or ale (less than 2 bottles)
- 1¾ cups sugar, half granulated/half brown
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Apple balsamic vinegar, for serving
- Salted caramel ice cream, for serving
Directions:In a medium pot, combine the bread, beer, and sugars over low heat and cook, stirring gently, for about 20 minutes, until the bread is softened and the liquid is absorbed. Add the cream and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes more, until it starts to thicken. Finally, add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and cool. Store in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 days).
To serve, spoon into individual bowls, drizzle with apple balsamic vinegar, and add a scoop of caramel ice cream.