Thrillist invited 11 restaurants to a party for the sole purpose of
inflaming their jealousy of each other to see which one liked us most seeing what kind of crazy tacos they could invent. Joe Doe met the challenge, and came up with The Gringo Taco. Here's how to make it:
1 Duck, whole
1/2 cup sea salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup pickling spice
1/4 cup caraway seed
1/2 tbsp chili flakes
1 Can Beer
1 qt potatoes, diced
1. Cut duck in half. Place in a high sided pan (4''-6")
2. Place all spices on top of duck. Put in one beer and water just enough to cover the meat.
3. Cover pan and put in 350 degree oven for 2-2.5hrs, or until meat separates from the bone easily.
4. Cool meat, pick out all bones.
5. Dice one quart worth of red bliss potatoes. Fry until soft in a fryer or in a shallow pan of oil.
6. Add potatoes to duck.
Radish & Garlic Salsa:
10pc radish, slice into thin half moons
1 clove finely minced garlic
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
Mix all ingredients together and let marinate.
2 Egg yolks
1 cup canola oil
Juice of 2 lemons
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In the bowl of a food processor, place roasted jalapenos & egg yolks.
2. Start the blade and begin drizzling in canola oil. Continue slowly adding the oil until an emulsion forms. If mayo becomes too thick, add water to thin.
3. When all oil is incorporated, season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
A. Toasted long croutons. Use olive oil, salt, and pepper with your favorite bread. Place in a 350 degree oven until golden brown.
B. Seasonal greens with simple lemon & olive oil dressing.