Thrillist invited 11 restaurants to a party for the sole purpose of
inflaming their jealousy of each other to see which one liked us most seeing what kind of crazy tacos they could invent. Pompano met the challenge, and came up with The Chorizo-Potato. Here's how to make it:
3 tbsp canola oil
1 lb ground beef
1 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 lb Mexican chorizo
4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp salsa verde (below)
1 tsp vegetable escabeche (below)
4 oz queso fresco, crumbled
8 corn tortillas, toasted and kept warm
1. Bring a large sauté pan to high heat on the stove.
2. Brown the chorizo and ground beef until well browned and then remove to a plate off heat.
3. In the same pan, sauté the onions, garlic and potatoes until the potatoes are cooked through.
4. Add the chorizo and beef mixture and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until developed.
5. Place taco filling into warm tortillas and top with salsa, escabeche and queso fresco. Serve immediately.
Avocado Salsa Verde:
1/2 lb tomatillos; peeled and washed
1/2 oz Serrano chiles
4 tbsp cilantro; chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
1 shallot, chopped
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and flesh removed
Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend on high speed until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
1 large chayote passed through the mandoline and thinly shredded
1 large carrot thinly shredded
1/2 red onion sliced (marinade the onion in half of the white vinegar for 8 hrs)1/4 habanero thinly sliced
1 tsp Mexican oregano
2 bay leaves
1 cup of soybean oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup white tequila
1/3 cup of sugar
2 tbsp of salt
1 bowl with water and ice
1.In a pot with boiling water, blanch the chayote for 10 seconds and chill immediately in the ice water. Do the same with the carrots. Drain the ice water
2. In a saute pan add the oil, oregano and bay leaves, let the flavor come out of the herbs for a couple of minutes without burning them.
3. Add the vinegar, tequila sugar and salt and mix for a couple of minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and add this mixture over the vegetables. Add the rinsed marinated onion and habanero. Let it cool and serve.