More Like This
Thai-Style Fried Chicken Recipe
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon peeled, sliced fresh ginger, plus 2 tablespoons thin ginger matchstick
- ¼ cup shrimp paste
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 2 chickens, about 3 pounds each, broken down by your butcher into 8 pieces each
- Canola oil or corn oil, for frying
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup palm sugar or turbinado
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Thai red chilies thinly sliced
- 2 Thai green chilies thinly sliced
- Put the garlic, sliced ginger, shrimp paste, ¼ cup of the fish sauce, the oyster sauce, and ½ cup water in a blender and blend until smooth (for about 20 seconds).
- Put the chicken pieces on a large baking sheet in a single layer and pour the marinade over them, turning the chicken to coat evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Pour oil into a deep fryer, or wide, heavy pot, at least 12 inches deep, to a depth of 6 inches. Heat the oil to 325° F.
- Line a plate or platter with paper towels and set it aside.
- Put the rice flour, all-purpose flour, salt, and pepper in a large, wide bowl, and stir them together.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Discard the marinade.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture. Then, carefully lower them into the oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy and a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the chicken registers 160° F (should take about 15 minutes).
- When the chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the prepared plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, stir the sugar, ½ cup of water, and the remaining 2 tablespoons fish sauce together in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the lime juice, red and green chilies, and ginger matchsticks. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the sauce to a heatproof serving vessel.
- To serve, divide the chicken among 4 plates and pass the fish sauce alongside.