This Pizza Is A Calzone & Garlic Knot Hybrid
Puttanesca Sauce Recipe
Total Time: 50-60 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup pitted olives
- ¼ cup drained capers
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and anchovies; cook until garlic is lightly golden and anchovies melt into the oil, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and crush them with a fork or wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down and mixture becomes saucy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in olives, capers, basil, and red pepper flakes, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Season again with salt and pepper to taste. Note: When cooking pasta, reserve some of the water to thin out the puttanesca as needed before serving.