Fast food is about as American as apple pie (from McDonald’s, of course). Seriously, recent Pew Research Center data showed that 50 million Americans are served fast food every day. And since we spend a damn good chunk of our time here at Thrillist writing about and tasting fast food, we began to wonder which states do it best, and which leave much to be desired when looking for quick eats.
To find out, we ranked every state by the fast-food options available there, concentrating on a variety of factors, including:
1) The big chains (Burger King, KFC, etc.) that began there
2) The regional ones (Whataburger, Culver’s) that also originated there
3) The cool, little chains just in that state
4) The variety of choices and presence of enviable franchises
5) The deliciousness and uniqueness of their options in general