Pan Fried Salmon with Kale, Quinoa, and Cherry Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x 4 oz salmon fillet, skin on
- Salt and pepper to season
- Juice of half a lemon
- Extra lemon wedges for serving
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Half a bunch of kale, stalks removed, leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 6 cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
Directions:Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over a medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and place it in the pan, skin-side down. Add half the lemon juice and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn, add the rest of the lemon juice and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
Make the dressing (mustard, cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper, olive oil.) Shake all the ingredients together in a tightly lidded container OR mix the mustard, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper in small bowl and then whisk in the olive oil until well combined.
Place the kale in a medium bowl. Mix half the dressing with the greens so they are well coated. Add all the other salad ingredients and more of the dressing if desired. Toss until well mixed.
Serve with the salmon on top and lemon wedges on the side. Serves one.
Walnut Cobb Salad
- 1 egg
- Half a head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken (save the rest for another meal)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions:Place egg in a small saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Turn off, cover with a lid and let stand in the hot water for 10-12 minutes. Remove from water, peel and chop. Set aside.
Make the dressing (lemon, salt and pepper, olive oil). Shake all the ingredients together in a tightly lidded container OR mix the lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and then whisk in the olive oil until well combined.
Place the lettuce in a wide shallow serving bowl. Arrange the egg, chicken, cherry tomatoes, avocado and walnut pieces in rows. Drizzle with lemon dressing. Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives. Serves one.
Peanut butter yogurt crunch
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond slices
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 medium banana, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or more to taste)
Directions:Toast the nuts and seeds in a small dry skillet over a medium heat, stirring gently, until they begin to color. Watch them carefully so they don't burn! In a bowl mix the Greek yogurt with the peanut butter. Add the banana and the toasted seeds and nuts. Top with maple syrup and enjoy! Serves one.
Spiced spiked milk punch
- 1 cup whole milk or coconut milk
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Large pinch ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Splash brandy (optional)
- Grated nutmeg for garnish