Maybe you work there. Maybe your work takes you there. Maybe, after an informal interview in a friend of a friend's office where you thought you had an LA position lined up but it was actually an internship in their Montana district office, you had no other choice. Either way, nearly everyone in DC has, at some point, eaten within the Senate & House office buildings. BUT, if you happen to not be one of those people, here's a list of the 10 things you'll probably want to get when you do, inevitably, end up there:
10. Bean Soup at the Dirksen Cafe Originating in the early 20th-century, this combo of dried navy beans and smoked ham hocks is on the menu here everyday, unlike the smoking hot Barbara Mikulski, whose ham hocks are rarely on display
9. Senate Burger at the American Grill The double cheeseburger with American cheese should only be ordered like a Kennedy, i.e. "loaded", with grilled onions/mushrooms, jalapeno peppers, pickles, lettuce, tomato, and bacon.
8. Noodle Bowl at Rayburn Cafe You choose the protein (shrimp/chicken/tofu) & lo mein or rice noodles, a little hot chili sauce, lemongrass chicken broth, broccoli, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots.
7. BEC Croissant Breakfast Sandwich at Cups & Co. While you can't look up the Cups & Co. employees' salaries on LegiStorm, you should be looking into buying their bacon, egg, and cheese croissant, since it's totally money
6. Burrito at the Capitol Basement Carryout Only available to those with a congressional ID, the specialty burrito found in the basement on the House side of the Capitol building almost makes working for The Man worth it. Almost.
5. French Dip at the Dirksen Cafe It's roast beef on garlic bread, essentially. You really can't go wrong
4. Thanksgiving at Longworth Take the pilgrimage to Longworth every Wednesday for the T-day feast of roast turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing, and sweet, sweet peach cobbler
3. Santa Fe Sandwich at Cups & Co. Tom Udall better be sending his visiting constituents down to Cups & Co. for this delicious grilled chicken, Monterey Jack, avocado, tomato, and lettuce sandwich on a toasted Kaiser roll. HE BETTER BE
2. Burger Bar Cannon Carry-Out Get a single or a double, then hit the burger bar to pile on whatever your heart desires (we suggest bacon/ mushrooms/ cheddar cheese), and finish off that heart with a side of onion rings. According to Foursquare and House staffers everywhere, it's much better than the Senate equivalent.
1. Buffalo Chicken Wrap at Longworth Cafe Wrap your head around this! A wrap is number one on the list 'cause: a) Google "Buffalo chicken wrap Longworth" and b) it's Buffalo chicken, romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, blue cheese, and a Tabasco ranch sauce. Little known fact: Tabasco ranch sauce stains are the #1 killer of Brooks Brothers iron-free dress shirts.