The Berlin Bucket List: Everything You Need to Do Before You Die
Life. You only get to do it once, and if you know what you're doing, you'll spend a fair chunk of it in Berlin. Of course, while you're there, you'll want to squeeze every last drop of wondrousness out of the city, which is why we've drawn up this convenient bucket list -- a lineup of all the cool stuff you'll need to do in the German capital while you still can.
1. Check out the Reichstag’s glass dome... from the insideYou’ll need to book far in advance, but it is free.
2. Sing at the Bearpit KaraokeBecause there’s nothing quite like conquering three minutes of fame in Mauerpark.
3. Go out to a lake
From Müggelsee to Schlachtensee, there’s much beauty in Berlin’s outback.
4. Join a demonstrationLive concerts, marches, and impromptu slam poetry prove that in Berlin, slaying apathy is a good time.
5. Sneak into SpreeparkAt your own risk of angry German security guards, trespassing fines, and the weight of your own conscience, of course.
6. Go to a summer festivalBerlin Festival, splash!, Melt!. Lineups and after-parties are consistently on point here.
7. Take a river cruise on the SpreeYou’ll see the city’s arches and architecture from a different (and fantastic) perspective.
8. Go to the Pergamon MuseumBecause out of everything on Museum Island, the Pergamon Altar and Ishtar Gate will especially blow your mind.
9. Have a picnic in the parkAll you need is a few beers from the Späti, speakers, and a green space -- it helps that there are 2,500 of them.
10. Sample Turkish sweets in NeuköllnSo much pistachio, walnut, and phyllo sugary satisfaction.
11. Party on May DayIt’s basically your civic duty.
12. Rummage at a flea marketDon’t even just go to Mauerpark. Berlin’s got so many more.
13. Walk up TeufelsbergClimb up to this former spy station, and literally be the one who sees everything.
14. Walk around KaDeWeSo you won’t be able to afford anything, but it’s still the classiest of mega-malls (don’t miss the gourmet food hall).
15. Hang out at Tempelhofer FeldFlying kites, biking, exploring an abandoned airplane -- it’s all possible here.
16. Eat currywurst at Konnopke’s Imbiss
It may be an imbiss, but it’s a century-old Berlin institution.
17. Go to the BerlinaleSkip the red carpet and find some of the more cool independent showings.
18. Light some fireworks on New Year’sAgain, it’s your civic duty.
19. Stop in at Berghain on Sunday afternoonIt’s just way better after a big German breakfast.
20. Walk along the East Side Gallery
Tourists or not, it’s an amazing piece of history.
21. Get into Berghain
And we wish you the best of luck. We don’t know how it’s done either. Take us with you!
22. Go to the Festival of LightsSee the same old tourist attractions in... another light!
23. Visit GendarmenmarktChristmas is best served with glühwein, homemade marzipan, and steak buns.
24. Visit a Christmas marketBecause holidays in Germany are nothing without glühwein and smoked sausage.
25. Go to into a sauna nakedAt first it’ll be weird. Then you’ll just let it all hang. Then nothing will be weird anymore.
26. Check out the Maybachufer Turkish MarketAnd don’t miss the buskers who play near the end during summertime.
27. See a movie at an open-air cinemaYou’ll find them in parks, and even nightclub gardens!
28. Spend the entire summer in BerlinTrust us. There’s honestly nothing better.
29. Go to an outdoor music festivalFrom Fusion to Feel, there’s just something about techno plus sunshine.
30. Feast at Street Food ThursdayThe stalls at Markthalle Neun keep getting better and better.
31. Or check out some other street festivalKarneval der Kulturen and Christopher Street Day will do the trick for sure.
32. Give or take a book from the Book ForestIt’s the perfect dose of Berlin’s warm and fuzzy yet alternative heart.
33. Go to BadeschiffIt’s the closest you’ll ever get to a dip in that dirty Spree.
34. Hang out at Thai ParkIt truly is a slice of Thailand in Germany.
35. Go to KlunkerkranichBecause it’s Berlin’s best rooftop. Extra points if you make it for a sunset jazz sesh.
36. Watch German soccer in a beer gardenNothing will make you feel more like being a real Berliner.
Sign up here for our daily Berlin email and be the first to get all the food/drink/fun in town.