20 Reasons Why Florida Is Better Than California
Oooooh... feel that, rest of the country? That’s called winter. And there’s pretty much no escaping it until April, unless you plan a vacation somewhere warm. If you don’t want to cross an ocean that generally means going one of two places: California or Florida. And while we might be the butt of a lot of jokes here in the Sunshine State, we’re still not nearly as bad as that big giant state out West. Here’re 20 reasons why.
1. Our bar closing times are designed for people under 60When you have to justify your nightlife by saying, “it’s all about finding the after-party,” you’re basically Tuscaloosa with pricier drinks.
2. It’s actually warm all year roundThe average high in Los Angeles in December is 68 degrees, with lows in the 40s. Unless Bieber's in town, 40 degrees in Miami leads the 11 o’clock news.
3. Our water is nicerUnless your idea of a fun Sunday afternoon is taking a dip in bone-chilling industrial sludge.
4. You can afford our “Bay Area”$1,500 a month in St. Petersburg gets you a two bedroom apartment Downtown with a panoramic view of Tampa Bay. In San Francisco it gets you a spot on somebody’s couch in the Tenderloin.
5. Football starts at a decent hourAin’t nobody waking up at 10am to watch the Raiders vs. the Jets.
6. Publix subs > In-N-Out BurgerYou’re a step above McDonald’s. Congratulations.
7. No state income taxKobe wouldn’t be eating up the Lakers’ entire salary cap if he didn’t have to hand 13% of that money over to the state.
8. Our drinking water is betterFlorida has a seemingly endless supply of fresh drinking water thanks to our complex system of underground aquifers. California gets 50% of its water supply from an illegally hooked-up garden hose in Arizona.
9. Our high-speed chases are coolerIn Florida, high-speed chases involve off duty cops going 120mph on the Turnpike. In California, they generally involve a guy with outstanding parking tickets who did a little too much meth. Or OJ.
10. Our supermarkets don’t have picket linesIn Florida, “Supermarket Strike” is just the name of a Marlins-themed scratch-off ticket.
11. The whole state is coastlineThe West Coast of Florida has some of the best beaches in the world. The East Coast of California has… Reno.
12. You don’t have Cracker BarrelYou’re not finding a 200-piece bag of Charleston Chews in the front of an In-N-Out Burger. Just sayin’.
13. Predictable natural disastersSure, a hurricane warnings may cause widespread panic, endless lines at Publix, and a run on gas for what ends up to be a rainy day, but they still beat a fault line randomly opening up under your house.
14. Our governor has a cooler nicknameArnold would have won this for you back in the day. But now? Sorry. “Skeletor” is way more bad-ass than "Governor Moonbeam”
15. Our in-state rivalries don’t turn violentEver seen a NoFla tattoo or a stabbing at Rays vs. Marlins game?
16. You don’t have islandsOkay, you’ve got one, Catalina, which you can only get to by boat or a really expensive airplane ride. And Alcatraz. Key Biscayne is accessible on foot. By the homeless.
17. We don’t have car emission checksSo we can keep that ‘78 LeBaron spewing exhaust at eight miles a gallon until there’re no more parts left in junkyard. Yet somehow…
18. The air is cleanerUsually when a local government tells people not to go outside, it’s because rioters, hurricane-force winds, or invading space aliens that might kill you. Not THE AIR.
19. Florida traffic is avoidableOur traffic patterns can be figured out by a highly functional baboon. In California you could have a PhD from CalTech and still get stuck on the 405 at 3am.
20. Hank Hill hates youYou are the Kahn Souphanousinphone of states.
Sign up here for our daily Miami email and be the first to get all the food/drink/fun in town.