Term: 1845-1849 Party Affiliation: Democratic
- At the age of 17, James K. Polk had a stone surgically removed from his urinary tract without any anesthesia or antiseptics.
- Polk oversaw the groundbreaking of the Washington Monument, the founding of the Naval Academy, and the creation of the postage stamp.
- During his tenure, the United States acquired over 800,000 square miles of Western territory and extended its boundary to the Pacific Ocean. Click image to view the full poster
- The Polks were such prudes that all music and dancing at James’ inaugural ball ceased when they arrived and didn’t resume until they left.
- The "K" is for Knox. (Turns out he wasn’t a very interesting president.)
- He sneaked in a quick baptism as a Methodist one week week before his death, which (bonus fact!) was technically attributable to diarrhea.