For the American Horror Story fans who wanted a stylish title sequence during Roanoke, we have more good news: Cult, uh, has one!
The opening, revealed Monday, sports...
- a spastic cherub
- a beekeeper
- the dirtiest sink
- someone with a buggy skin condition
- a funeral procession
- the Pennywise fan club
- major House of Cards vibes
- a poor dog
- a butcher knife (cue Roanoke flashbacks)
- a carousel that runs on nightmares
- gross magic tricks
- creepy Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump masks
- smoke bombs
- bored figurines (one of which might represent a Mott)
- a bloody flag
- a bloody kiss
- just a lot of fake blood everywhere, I guess
- a shackled pinky promise
- and... NOT A LOT OF ACTORS' NAMES
(Regarding that last point, this version of the opening was probably edited to maintain some of the mystery surrounding the cast. Notably missing: Billy Eichner, Emma Roberts, Lena Dunham, and more surprise guests?)
The visuals underline Murphy's note that while elements of this season might get Trumpy, "you will not see [Donald] Trump and [Hillary] Clinton as characters on the show." More likely, you'll see goons sporting those creepy rubber masks -- or, since the 2016 election is supposed to be a jumping-off point, you might see the rivals on TVs within your TV -- along with storylines that speak, in a broader sense, to the circus-like, cultish, and paranoid state of modern politics. Also expect Murphy to make good on his promise that this run will dig deeper into Freak Show's characters and mythologies.