Game of Thrones ranks somewhere on the Girl Dislike scale between NASCAR and that National Geographic show where the guy sticks his hand in a catfish’s mouth. But why does she throw so much shade? If you just can’t understand why we’re intent on harshing your medieval buzz, here are some telltale clues.
But most likely, if she doesn’t like Game of Thrones, it’s probably because she doesn’t watch it. Lots of women who watched the series from the beginning actually enjoy it. It’s the ones who piggyback for the occasional episode that hate it the hardest. Here’s how to convince her to give it a little Sunday night love:
- We hate gross things. Know what’s gross? Screwing your sibling.
- It’s hard to follow. Brilliantly developed storylines are great, but whipping out a dry erase board and Venn diagrams to figure it all out isn’t our idea of a good time. Unless we’re talking about soap operas. Those are perfectly fine.
- It reminds us of the kids that used to play magic cards in the cafeteria. And people who go to Renaissance festivals. Eating a giant drumstick and drinking out of a goblet is cool, just not every Sunday night for three months straight.
- It’s all naked chicks. In addition to the actual ladies of the night on the show, there seem to be a lot of...unofficial ladies of the night on the show. This is why guys love it, we get it, but we can do without seeing topless wenches in loin cloths.
- Dudes get their hands chopped off. And their nipples. And their balls. Really? How is it that you guys like this again?
- Tell us about the romantic crap. Yes, latch onto that one fraction of a second in that one episode that made her go “awwww.”
- Downplay the incest thing.
- Tell her about Sir Loras. Girls love gay guys.
- Assure her that Peter Dinklage’s character is a Boss (and don’t bring up the thing about his disproportionately big wang.)
If all of that fails, you can always distract us with Mad Men. Girls may hate Game of Thrones, but we love Don Draper.