24 Things Phoenix Does Better Than Anywhere Else
Yes, Phoenicians do have the fourth-most plastic surgery of any US city. But we're not here to talk about what Phoenix does fourth, or third, or even second best. No, these are the things Phoenix does better than anywhere...
1. Real estateIf you’re looking for a big, brand-new house for a little price, Phoenix is the spot for you.
2. Housing market crashesWith all of that glorious real estate comes a price; Phoenix was one of the hardest hit cities during the housing pop.
3. Weekend getawaysSnow, the beach, and Sin City are all within (reasonable!) driving distance, and that's not to mention the hikes, golfing, national forests, and -- oh yeah -- Mexico!
4. CommutingWide-open freeways and comparably minimal traffic make Phoenix a city practically designed for driving.
5. Casual FridaysNo one does casual like Phoenix. Hawaiian shirts and khakis are not only commonplace, they're also basically essential from a practical, I-don't-want-to-roast point of view.
6. HikingThrow a stick here, and you'll hit three great hiking spots. They're ALL OVER the state, including Camelback and the Superstitions.
7. Snubbing public transitYes, we’ve adopted the light rail and there is a city bus system, but public transit is largely nonexistent in the country’s sixth-largest city.
8. GolfingYou can’t go far in Phoenix without running into a golf course, also, did we mention the Waste Management Open?
9. CitrusMost Arizonans don’t even need to leave their neighborhoods for a piece of citrus; there are orange trees in Phoenicians’ yards everywhere, and that's not to mention all the citrus groves.
10. GrowthPhoenix is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country: real estate, population, you name it. And we have the space/infrastructure to handle it...
11. Sunny weatherOn average, there are 299 sunny days a year in Phoenix. The weather's so good, sometimes people wish it would rain just for a little variety.
12. ThunderstormsWhen it does rain... it pours.
13. FriendlinessPhoenicians are some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet. Plus, most of the population are transplants, so outsiders are more than welcome.
14. Gun rightsPhoenicians, and all Arizonans, love their firearms. It’s one of very few states with an actual state gun. (In case you were wondering it’s the Colt Single Action Army Revolver.)
15. Terrifying desert creaturesScorpions, tarantulas, Gila monsters... the word "monster" is part of its name.
16. SunsetsYou won’t find more brilliantly colored, stunning sunsets than the ones you’ll see in metro Phoenix.
17. Miserable county prisonIf there’s one place you don’t want to go, it’s Maricopa County Jail. Pink underwear, chain gangs, and bad food (!) have all put this jail in the national spotlight.
18. LandscapesPhoenix boasts the country’s most beautiful desert, and is one of the few cities that maintains a lot of natural landscape.
19. BoatingDespite being landlocked, Arizona even has more boats per capita than anywhere else in the country. Go figure!
20. Sports tourismThe Phoenix metro area has hosted three Super Bowls, boasts a great MLB spring training schedule, and has several professional sports teams. Bring on XLIX!
21. Mexican foodWhile this is hotly contested, it’s hard to imagine anywhere having better, more authentic Mexican food than Phoenix. Apart from Mexico.
22. Cost of livingPhoenix has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation, which is incredible given its size and big-city attractions.
23. Easy directionsThe city is set up as a grid, so it’s near impossible to get lost. Nearly.
24. HaboobsThere are few things as awe-inspiring and terrifying as a giant wall of dust coming toward you, especially when you know it's called a "haboob."
Sign up here for our daily Phoenix email and be the first to get all the food/drink/fun in town.