8. Honor thy breweries
Societe, Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, AleSmith… Frequent their taprooms, taste their seasonals, and (if they're not too pricey) buy their T-shirts, because they're usually sweet.
9. Know the correct pronunciation for "Via de la Valle", "El Cajon", and "La Jolla", even if you don't know what they mean in Spanish
It's "La HOYa". Say "La JOLla", and thou shalt be smote. Or at least given a dirty look.
10. Read the panda news from time to time
"Bao Bao eats her birthday cake." "Gao Gao undergoes surgery to remove his right testicle." Somebody's always biting a trainer (Bai Yun!) or having a baby, and it's serious, you guys. P.S. there's a live panda cam now.
11. Try surfing at least once
Rent a foam board, head to La Jolla Shores, and have fun or hate it, but you have to give it a shot. Either way, have a burrito after.
12. Say "the 5". Not "I-5".
It's just how it's done. Don't question.
THOU SHALT NOT...
1. Accidentally drive to Mexico
It seems like it would never happen, until you see that yellow sign with a family running across the road, and suddenly there's nowhere to turn around, and yeah, now you're in border traffic.
2. Covet another city's sports teams
The Padres and Chargers don't need bad juju. They, in fact, need a LOT of good juju...
3. Forget about street cleaning days in PB
UGH. $50?!?!? Damn you, first Wednesdays and Thursdays of every month from 7 to 10am!!!
4. Go to a medical marijuana dispensary
You can't do this. Oh, wait, now you can. False alarm, you can't anymore. Okay, now you can again.