16 Quotes About Skiing to Start Your Winter
If the freezing weather hasn't been indication enough, we'll be the first to tell you: Winter is here. Technically it arrived yesterday, and damnit, it's time to celebrate this.
The snow is on its way. Grab your skis.
1. “There is no such thing as too much snow.” — Doug Coombs
2. “For me, personally, skiing holds everything. I used to race cars, but skiing is a step beyond that. It removes the machinery and puts you one step closer to the elements. And it's a complete physical expression of freedom.” — Robert Redford
3. “Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.” — Steven Wright
4. “I don't like bungee jumping, but I do like skiing.” — Roger Moore
5. “Talking from morning to night about sex has helped my skiing, because I talk about movement, about looking good, about taking risks.” — Dr. Ruth Westheimer
6. “There are only four things you can do on skis. Turn right, turn left, go straight, or sell them.” — Warren Miller
7. “Feel the mountain and let it show you how you’re going to ski it. Relax and cruise. This isn’t a fight, it’s a dance, and the mountain always leads.” —Jim Bowden
8. “Skiing is the best way in the world to waste time.” — Glen Plake
9. “I do uphill skiing; I don't do downhill skiing. I think that's for nerd amateurs.” — Judah Friedlander
10. “When I was 50 years old, I actually decided to draw up a list of half a dozen things that I really hadn't done very well, and I was going to make efforts to improve. One of them was skiing, and I really did become a very much better skier.” — Sir Edmund Hillary
11. “The sport of skiing consists of wearing three thousand dollars' worth of clothes and equipment and driving two hundred miles in the snow in order to stand around at a bar and get drunk.” — P.J. O'Rourke
12. “I’m not really good at skiing or snowboarding, or swimming, per se.” —Theophilous London
13. “Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face.” —Dave Barry
14. “That feeling is the same whether you’re on either side of the hundredths. Obviously, it’s great to win the world championship, but if you put down that kind of skiing, it’s awesome either way.” — Bode Miller
15. “Some people can never learn to ski powder snow without exerting tremendous effort and strength because they allow their rational, left-brain hemisphere to control the entire situation.” — Delores LaChapelle
16. “We can’t control what the ratings will be. It’s like, if you’re going to go skiing, do you hope you’ll have a good day of skiing? Yes. Do you hope you won’t break your leg? Yes.” — David Hyde Pierce
Ethan Wolff-Mann is an editor at Supercompressor. He likes cross country skiing as much as alpine. Follow him on Instagram.