Home for the Holiday: Morning Report 11/27/13
Lebowski ipsum yeah? What do you think happens when you get divorced? You turn in your library card? Get a new driver's license? Stop being Jewish? Dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit praesent ac magna. Saturday is shabbos. Jewish day of rest.
One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning. - James Russell
Pictured Above: Hyalite Canyon, near Bozeman, Montana. One of the biggest concerns here is (unfortunately) getting your dog out of the many traps laid about.
Relevant and less-than-relevant goings-on from around the interweb:
- Come On Dooooown... :
KeepingMaking San Francisco accessible (once again) to the non-tech elite. [NYT]
video game (interactive) bookvideo game-(interactive) book will revolutionize the publishing industry. [The Atlantic]
- "Mad scientist" builds DIY shotgun with purchases made post-TSA security check. [Fast.Co Exist]
- We Have the Technology: The new photonic molecules are light saber-like. [Harvard Gazette]
- On a similar note, can we stop with all the tech-flexing? [Ars Technica]
- Star Gazing: Our comet ISON watch party continues as its trajectory takes it dangerously close to the Sun. But will it survive? Meanwhile, here we are trying to bloom the moon and find otherwise suitable places to live. [NYT, Yahoo!, New Scientist, Ars Technica]
- Holiday parties and family get-togethers introduce a number of questions from how are you going to dress to how your girlfriend' going to endure your inappropriately involved Drunk Uncle. Here's a 60 second guide answering the former. The latter?
You're on her own.Some advice. And a couple tunes and booze to get you to the weekend. [Art of Manliness, Esquire, GQ]
- Wherever you're traveling — or not traveling — do they speak American? The Dictional of American Regional English (DARE) is getting an update. [Flight Aware, Motherboard]
Also, did you know... In 1922, a man named Ben Cochrane was attacked by a pack of wolves while trapping in Manitoba. Defending himself, he shot and killed seven wolves. But then he ran out of ammo. Bare boned, he fended awhile longer, beating four more to death. After this epic battle, his rifle finally broke in half...[Newspaper Archive]