If MSG is so safe, why does this rumor persist?
Palinski-Wade suspects allergies are to blame.
“In the same way that gluten is safe for most but needs to be avoided by those with an allergy, if you have a reaction [to MSG], you should limit your exposure,” she said.
MSG-filled food pairings could also be to blame. “It’s quite possible that other foods and ingredients, or even a combination of foods and ingredients may be the cause of symptoms,” Palinski-Wade said. “For example, a high sodium dish along with a glass of wine [could cause unpleasant symptoms].”
So… what do I do now?
To rule out an MSG allergy, Palinski-Wade recommends limiting the ingredient but eating and drinking similar foods and beverages to rule out a different cause of your discomfort. For the seriously concerned, seeking out a medical practitioner is always a smart move to ensure that nothing seriously wrong is going on. And if you discover you do have an MSG allergy, limit your exposure.