Fugu (puffer fish)
Is your spider-sense tingling, or did you just eat some Japanese fugu? Containing a toxin up to 1,200 times more deadly than cyanide, fugu is perhaps the world’s deadliest delicacy. Fugu chefs are required to undergo up to 10 years of training just to safely prepare the fish. The most microscopic dose of the toxin can cause a tingling sensation when eaten. This is the first (and hopefully last) symptom for thrill-seeking fugu fanatics. Higher doses bring on dizziness, incoherent speech, paralysis, and, of course, death.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.
Nicholas Knock is a freelance writer for Thrillist who doesn’t understand why schools let kids play with raw beans. You can follow him on Twitter: @nickaknock.