How to Make the Ultimate Christmas-Flavored Vodka
When it comes to Christmas, a few things come to mind: glittering tinsel, overplayed renditions of “White Christmas” and “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus,” ugly-but-cozy sweaters, snow-capped pine trees and, of course, all of the desserts. From gingerbread cookies and hot cocoa, to candy canes, pies and mulled wine, the yuletide is all about post-dinner indulgence. So, with the spirit of Saint Nick in mind, we decided to capture the flavor of the holiday in one flavored vodka—and all our Christmas wishes came true.
Our Christmas-flavored vodka combines juniper (to evoke Christmas trees), cacao nibs (for hot chocolate), baking spices (mulled wine, represent!) and mandarin oranges (like you’d find in the toe of your Christmas stocking) with a rich, butter fat-wash (in place of shortbread) and mint syrup (for that candy cane finish). If it sounds over the top, that’s because it is—in the best way possible, just like all good Christmases. The result is rich and spicy, with a nice amount of silky viscosity. Serve it over ice with a clove-studded orange peel to get the full effect of Christmas-in-a-glass. And don’t forget to leave some for Santa, too.
Supercall’s Jolly Christmas Vodka
1 32-ounce Mason jar
1 750-ml swing-top bottle
1 750-ml bottle vodka
5 allspice berries
3 cardamom pods, crushed
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp dried juniper berries
1 tsp black peppercorns
Peel from 3 Mandarin oranges
.25 cup roasted cacao nibs
2 oz unsalted butter, melted
2 oz mint syrup
- Infuse vodka with spices and other solid ingredients for 3 days in a 32-ounce Mason jar.
- Strain through cheesecloth.
- Fat wash the infused spirit by adding the melted butter to mixture and let sit for two hours at room temperature.
- Place the jar in the freezer and chill until butter gathers at the top and solidifies.
- Scoop the solidified butter off the top, discard, and strain the infusion through a coffee filter into a clean, 750-ml swing-top bottle.
- Add 2 ounces mint syrup (or more, if you like things on the sweeter side) to the fat-washed infusion.
- Serve over ice with a clove-studded orange peel.