Pronounced, “Kay-Nig,” this road was named after the North Austin developer, Adolph Koenig.
The suburb with the funny name was founded in 1860, and named after Henry Pfluger. Pfluger arrived in the area in 1849 from Germany and purchased 160 acres of land and later exchanged the land for a larger farm further from present day Pflugerville to raise cattle and grow crops.
There is actually a nonprofit group whose goal is to rename Manchaca Rd, affectionately known to its South Austin residents as ”Man-Chack,” to Menchaca Road, after Jose Antonio Menchaca who fought in the Texas Revolution because, well, the current name is basically a typo.
Named after a mill and its owner, Thomas Anderson, who lived in the vicinity in the 1850s. Well, that was literal.