14. Bank robber John Dillinger grew up around here
We’re not proud of this or anything. He’s buried in Crown Hill, too.
15. Don't make up nicknames for us
Please. We’re not Indianans or Indianapolitans. No. People who live in Indiana are Hoosiers, even if they went to Purdue.
16. You can smoke while you’re gambling, and sometimes while you’re out drinking
As you’d expect, the city’s smoking ban prohibits smoking in bars and restaurants in Indianapolis -- except for cigar bars and the off-track betting parlor.
17. Speedway is not just another neighborhood
Neither are Lawrence, Beech Grove, and Southport. They’re all separate cities or towns, with mayors or town councils, even though they’re situated within the Indianapolis city limits.
18. The Snake Pit isn’t what it used to be
If you go to the Indy 500 to experience the scene your parents saw back in the day, you’re going to be disappointed. The infield at the track is much more family friendly these days. Not completely PG, but not like the raging ‘70s.