Here's how the time-consuming process works.
1. The patient has to fill out a form to request an application from the state (with a $25 check via snail mail).
2. The Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health receives the request and then mails an actual application back to the patient.
3. The patient fills out the application and takes it to a doctor to be approved and signed. It also has to be notarized.
4. The application is then sent back to state health officials.
5. The Division then performs a background check in conjunction with the Department of Public Safety.
6. If all goes well, an approval letter is sent out to the patient.
7. The patient then has to take the approval letter to the DMV to get the actual medical marijuana card.