10. We have an atom smasher
This five-story metal generator hasn’t been active since 1958, but still stands tall in Forest Hills. Built by Westinghouse in 1937, this structure was the first industrial Van de Graaff generator in the world and was used for early nuclear experimentation. Its name and huge stature make it seem as though it might sprout legs at any moment and pull a War of the Worlds on us. So maybe just admire it from a distance.
Sign up here for our daily Pittsburgh email and be the first to get all the food/drink/fun in the Steel City.
Julianna is a freelance writer in Pittsburgh, an all-around foodie, and self-proclaimed dog enthusiast. Follow her on Twitter @JuliannaLocal.