Sitting on 117 acres just north of Downtown, Trinity University commands both views of the city and the respect of visitors and students alike for its of-a-piece red brick architecture and its rambling layout inspired by Italian hill town sources. The campanile, or bell tower, is the dominant feature here as it is in many Italian towns. After its founding in East Texas, Trinity moved to San Antonio and occupied temporary quarters.
In 1945, it acquired an old limestone quarry, hired renowned local architect O’Neil Ford, and began planning for a new campus, which opened in 1952 and hasn’t stopped growing since. There are distinguished individual buildings, including the intimate Margarite B. Parker Chapel with its handmade ceramic light fixtures and carved woodwork by Ford’s brother, Lynn, but the campus as a whole is equally compelling with its artist-designed fountains and outdoor artworks such as a 16ft-tall Henry Moore.